lunes, 28 de febrero de 2011

Happy gasoline.

Today was our first day of class. Well "class," aka 7 extranjeros in one class, discussing our butchered Spanish, inability to adjust to late dinners, obsession with the ocean and flight experiences. How typické (czech for "typical,") of us. 

Today was "hot," also known as 80 degrees, and therefore, we left the window open for the entire class. Since our "university" or tiny, adorable microcosm of a school, is on a major road, we heard horses, cars, mopeds, screams, fights and babies amidst review of the present tense and commands (a confidence booster for us half-Spanish speaking, wide-eyed newbies). A loud noise, which sounded like a ringtone from the 1990's on steroids, interrupted our discussion of types of meat. 

"Sabes que es el ruido?" ("Do you know what that sound is?") Elvira, our professor, asked us. 
"Sí, es una camion del helado," ("Yes, it's an ice cream truck,") someone answered. 
"No, es una camion de supergas," ("No, it's a supergas truck,") our professor explained. 

Yes, a truck that makes noises that sound like a baby banging on a keyboard sells gas for stoves. Of course. 

Elvira also told us, "somos iguales aqui," (We're all equal here) which is why when the president sat next to her on the bus she simply asked him what he did that morning. If Obama, or José Mujica, sat next to me on the bus, I´m not really sure what I would ask. Maybe about his dog or how much mate he drinks everyday, respectively? Hopefully something at least more interesante than "how was your morning." But then again, I may be too shocked to say anything. Elvira would say the fact that I put the pres on a pedestal means I'm full-blooded American.


After class, we went to the beach. :) 













No hay comentarios: