martes, 1 de marzo de 2011

Annoying freshman.

"Where do we eat?! Do you have a map?! How do you make friends here?! Oh my gosh, you like that food? I like that food, too. We should be friends! You don't have any friends either? Perfectttt." 

I thought I was done doing that. Three years ago, I never thought the day would come when I would stop practically drooling over stale french fries at Ramshead Dining Hall.  After all, I practically fell over backwards from stuffing my bookbag with five different notebooks as to have the perfect one for my first day of English 101. 

I really missed being a freshman. Time as a freshman means everything is fresh (how clever). new. pretty. happy. exciting. giddy. 

I thought I enjoyed being an experienced upperclassman, but I'm grateful for the opportunity to be that obnoxious, wide-eyed, ignorant, inexperienced, optimistic and overly dramatic about everything thats "SOOOOOO cooool" y "muchismo lindo" once again. 

But this time, my days as a freshman involve tripping over the eroding cement of the streets of Montevideo rather than the old bricks in the Pit in Chapel Hill.


Now I'm saying, "¿Dónde comer?! ¿Tenés un mapa?! ¿Cómo hacer amigos aquí? ¡Oh, Dios mío, te gusta este tipo de comida? Me gusta este tipo de comida, también. Debemos ser amigos! No tenés amigos tampoco? Perfectttto."

I keep wondering when this phase will wear. Hopefully never, since five months is hardly enough time to become a sophomore or an experienced "Uruguayan." 

I never want to take this place for granted. 


No hay comentarios: